Don't you think braces have become too much popular? Most of the teens of "THIS ERA" are wearing braces...But not only teens or children but adults can also get braces.This post will give an overview of what braces really are and if you should get them or not ...
What are braces? (Definition taken from thefreedictionary.com)
1. An orthopedic appliance used to support, align, or hold a bodily part in the correct position.
2. A dental appliance constructed of bands and wires that is fixed to the teeth to correct irregular alignment. Often used in the plural
In short braces are appliances and different metal and rubber parts to correct the alignment of your teeth.
Why do you get them?(taken from knowyourteeth.com)
A dentist usually recommends braces to improve a patient's "orofacial" appearance. Through orthodontic treatment, problems like crooked or crowded teeth, overbites or underbites, incorrect jaw position and disorders of the jaw joints are corrected. If left untreated, these problems can result in tooth decay, gum disease, headaches and earaches, as well as speaking, biting or chewing problems.
My explanation: You might want to get braces or the dentist might suggest you to get braces because
0.Your teeth are not in the correct position like this
But are all jumbled and messed up like this
- If you have a toothy smile.
- If you jawbone is kind of shifted giving your face a disorderly look or headaches
- If the length of your is very long giving you rabbit teeth (might look cute at times) :P
- If you have gap in your teeth which might cause cavities due to food getting stuck in those spaces
- If your teeth are crooked ie; kind of curved or coming of out your mouth :P even when it is closed
- If the tooth is hindering or stopping the growth of another tooth
- When you get tooth extractions and there spaces left between two teeth it call for the growth of another tooth which might be not in the correct please so you either need to get braces or tooth implants.
- You parents are forcing you :P
- And if your mother says you will find better rishtas (only for local people) :P
- Or you find it a jewellery which it really isn't
Procedure of getting braces (my knowledge and personal experiences) :
- The orthodontist first takes a picture of you jaw , gums , teeth or any part related to your mouth. They take impressions on a latex thing and then take an X-Ray to see if any other new tooth is about to grow which might cause problems. This process is very annoying (grrr)
- The put a rubber band between your molars and premolars to create a gap for the rings.It does not hurt and is only for 2 weeks.
- They call you after a few days and then comes the so called "Big Day"
- The orthodontist washes and cleans up you mouth.
- Then they apply the tooth glue , put on the brackets , insert the wires and then the coloured rubber bands of your choice. This process takes half an hour , does not hurt and these are the basic parts of the braces which you have to get anyway
- The kind of braces depend on the type of your teeth. I got a head gear which is to push your teeth up if the length of your teeth is long. The head gear was on only for 8 months but the braces are still on after about 3 years.
- Depending on the kind of braces you have to show up after every 2 or 3 weeks or 1 or 2 months (I have to show up every 3 weeks) so that the orthodontist can align the braces , clean up the mouth and change the color of the bands if you are bored with it :P
- Depending on the problem they might be on for 1, 2 ,3 , 4 or even max to max 5 years in some cases. (My expected time was 2 years but has increased to the third due to some other problems) and may get off after two months ... yay.
- After the braces are off you get retainer for about 6 months to a year max. These are to stop the treatment from reversing. You can take off the retainers while having food but you cannot take off the braces. (Haven't experienced this step yet)
When should you get them?
Again it depends on the problem. But in most common cases its best that you get them near age 10 to15 while your bones are still soft and developing. If you are an adult the dentist might deny the treatment due to any impossible change.They examine if any possible change can occur. But mostly this does not happen now due to the advanced technology. Any person from age 10 to 60 can get them. However adults might not feel the best possible change or results. I got them at age 11.
Does it work?
Braces work miracles. You can clearly observe the results. The treatment is totally worth it.I have to admit your teeth become so beautiful like never before and come in proper shape. Although you have to be quite regular and co-operative for a better results.
Beautiful teeth , better life
- After every visit to the orthodontist (when they align or tighten the braces) you may feel extreme pressure at first for 3 days or a week at most.Very very irritating and quite painful
- The arch wire might cause cuts and create grooves in the flesh of the cheeks.
- Might steel your precious sleep for a few days.
- Might cause very very deep cuts once a year. (happened with me and blood was flowing non stop out of the mouth)
- If the treatment is not going well then the braces can ruin the alignment of you current teeth and make it even worse.
- To prevent the above your orthodontist will yive you wax
- All of this happens because you are changing a natural feature artificially.
Where to get them from and should you get it?
I'd say do not play with your facial features so if you are thinking to get braces,get them from a known and qualified orthodontist.You cannot rely on some unknown orthodontist. If you can bear all of the above problems you should get braces for a beautiful ultimate result. If you feel braces looks like jewellery you are wrong. Although there is a transparent plastic version of braces which turns yellow overtime.
Extremely high cost treatment. Depending on the problem ranges from 25,000 PKR (about $225) to 300,000 Pkr (About $3400). I got mine for 175,000. Retainers cost from 5000 to 15000 (about 50 to 150 dollars)
Pictures and diagrams.
From the labello review
My bro before braces. (toothy smile and crooked teeth)
After Braces (2 years time)
He wasnt letting me take his pic btw so this isnt clear
Braces Diagram (labelled)
Hope this was informative. Thanks for stopping by.